Since Liferea in more recent versions requires a download manager (it does not attempt to deal with the constant "new" podcast downloads on broken RSS feeds), I tried a few different different ones. None of them worked. The best of a bad bunch was uGet, but that still often got stuck on a busy loop, forgot where to download, failed to handle duplicates etc.
I realised that in fact the best option was this marvellous piece of engineering:
$ cat bin/download #!/bin/bash url="$1" readonly LOG_FILE="/var/tmp/download.log" touch $LOG_FILE exec 1>>$LOG_FILE exec 2>&1 #set -x if grep "$1" ~/.downloaded >/dev/null; then echo "$(date): skipping $1" exit 0 fi echo "$(date): downloading $1" echo "$1" >>~/.downloaded cd $my_download_dir curl -RksSLJO "$1"Not exactly stunning but it works.